In March 2014, I met someone that would later become my husband; we got married in March last year. However, I unexpectedly fell ill in November 2014 and, little did I know, my life was about to change. My GP didn't have a clue what was going on with my health and A&E doctors weren't sure either.

We had to go to A&E many times as my temperature rocketed to over 38.8 degrees some evenings but they just said go home and rest. I went for the tests with all the energy I had left with my new partner. We had only recently met but he was extremely caring, making sure I ate enough, phoning my mum and taking me to doctors and A&E.

It was only when my dad came with me to the GP and insisted I had a chest x-ray urgently that I started to understand the extent of my illness. I went to Stoke Mandeville Hospital the day after the appointment to have the x-ray. Luckily, both my mum and dad work at Harefield Hospital, so my dad insisted that my chest x-ray be double checked at Harefield.

I had a phone call from my mum just a week before Christmas to say that I needed to come in as soon as possible for a CT scan, lung function tests and blood tests. I felt very weak, fed up and upset and I really didn't know what was wrong with me.

I went back the following morning to see a consultant and it was that day I found out what was actually wrong with me. The consultant told us I have mild bronchiolitis, hiatus hernia, asthma and allergic rhinitis. If it weren't for the quick thinking from my parents, my consultant and the rest of the teams at Harefield, I do not know what would have happened to me.

I was very upset but relieved to be put on medication straight away including steroids and inhalers. I was given an action plan for my chest and asthma, such as allergy prick tests, a home nebuliser and physio for my lungs and mucus. I found it hard to adjust to all the medication at first and it did affect my confidence.

Today, I am finally off steroids and only on a few meds now. I was able to stop physio as I do yoga, exercises and sing a lot which is good for my lungs and health. Last year I couldn't believe I had the confidence to get married to my partner, Timothy Ayres, who stood by me all throughout my health issues. My husband even mentioned Harefield in his speech, thanking everyone for their time and expressing his gratitude for making me better so quickly.

We still come to the hospital for yearly check-ups, unlike before when I had to come into hospital every six weeks. We also take part in the Harefield Fun Run every September and I’m proud to say I completed 10k last year in aid of the Charity! We will continue to do as much as we can to fundraise so that other patients are treated as well as I was.

- Charlotte Ayres